Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of software and services for the renewable energies sector, with an international client list of leading utility companies. SGS delivers cutting-edge software solutions, supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more green generation and storage devices to the existing grid, with the aim of avoiding or postponing grid infrastructure work.
This dedicated back-end developer role involves the ongoing development and maintenance of our technology roadmap, incorporating control algorithms, IoT device interfaces, data stores and web services that are central to the safe and reliable operation of our platform. You will work with the latest Java and .NET technologies in a growing multi-disciplinary software team based across our Glasgow and New York offices.
The ideal candidate for this role will have either recently graduated from a degree in software engineering or related discipline or have 1-2 years’ commercial experience in Java or .NET development. This role also offers the opportunity to gain experience in the area of dev-ops.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Design and implement web services using the latest microservices frameworks.
- Develop code within budget and on time according to the defined company standards and quality processes.
- Implement code within a rigorous QA environment with extensive use of unit, integration and regression testing with peer code review.
- Work as a member of an Agile Scrum team and participate in daily stand-ups.
- Design and implement control and logic algorithms.
- Design and implement network and IoT device interfaces.
- Work with a variety of data store technologies.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Formal qualification in computing science, software engineering or associated discipline.
- Competent in either Java or C#.
- Experience in using SQL or NoSQL databases.
- Familiarity with basic DevOps tools including version control, continuous integration and issue tracking.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Experience in using messaging technologies to share data between applications.
- Previous experience with microservice frameworks and containerisation technologies.
- Competent in both Java and C#.
- Good knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
Anticipated Start Date
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org