Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering software technology company working at the intersection of clean energy, advanced digital technology, and power systems. We are a team of electrical engineers, software developers, and analytics & consulting experts working on the transformation of tomorrow’s electric grid – to become cleaner, more efficient, and more sustainable.
We spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and we are now a world-leading provider of Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Management Systems (DERMS) software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities, and we manage a portfolio of over 400 megawatts of renewable generation - from wind turbines and solar systems to battery energy storage and electric vehicles.
We are looking for a diligent and detail-oriented Business Analyst to join our growing product management team and help in our mission to transform today’s energy systems!
As Business Analyst (BA), you will play an instrumental role in SGS’s execution of its product strategy. You will work closely with a Product Owner (PO) in external engagements with customers to elicit and clarify business requirements, outcomes, and objectives. You will then work with both PO and software development teams to ensure those outcomes are sufficiently broken down into the right kind of artifacts like story maps, epics, user stories, and wireframes to focus and guide our software product development.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, helpful, diligent, and is excited to work in a role that combines customer success with technical details. You will effectively be providing the critical link between the domain driven Product Owner and the software development execution layer, all the while keeping an eye on the delivery of business outcomes. You will have a strong customer service ethos, a great work ethic, and be professional, organised, effective and efficient in the way that you work. You have excellent organisational skills and can communicate effectively with audiences that possess diverse backgrounds.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop a wide range of product management experience in an exciting organisation, which operates in the UK (Glasgow) and in the US. You will be part of an exciting, friendly, clever and highly committed team committed to building and delivering critically needed decarbonisation technology.
- Eliciting and capturing business requirements and outcomes for new features on specific customer projects
- Converting requirements into user stories and other artefacts, refining through collaboration with PO’s, architects, software developers, and testers
- Ensuring business requirements are met through testing and review
- Supporting PO through backlog prioritization and liaising with project managers to inform on priorities, issues, and delivery of customer projects
You will be involved in, but not limited to, the following
- Attending external customer calls with PO’s and Subject Matter Experts to act as main conduit for business requirement and outcome gathering
- Actively participating in traditional agile ceremonies
- Developing the underlying artifacts that guide of feature delivery which can include story maps, use cases, user stories, epics, wireframes, software process and object relationship charts
Essential qualifications and experience
- At least 5 years in a software development environment, including 2-3 years as a Product Owner or Business Analyst working on suitably complex software
- Demonstrated experience successfully collaborating with business and technical experts to uncover customer requirements, write business and technical scenarios and produce user stories for a software development team
- Strong academic track record in information technology or similar
- Competency in Jira, UXPin, Visio, Aha! or similar
- Understanding of the energy industry highly desirable
While the development of DERMS software is necessarily a multi-disciplinary effort, the focus of this role is helping provide the critical connection between domain-focused outcomes as defined by the PO and the underlying software development that will deliver on those outcomes. You will be complemented by a team with strong competencies in software product management as well as the power systems and energy industry.
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!