Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a fast-growing technology company that delivers products and services to enable utilities and developers to integrate distributed and renewable energy resources. Our unique Active Network Management (ANM) technology is the only technology of its kind to provide real-time, autonomous control of distributed energy resources, and is the result of over ten years of developing, deploying and proving this unique approach to managing the Smart Grid.
We are looking for a business analyst to join our agile software development team. As a Business Analyst within our team you will be responsible for translating the product roadmap and customer requirements into detailed user stories and acceptance criteria. You will work closely with architects, developers and testers to refine user stories. You will collaborate with the product manager to support the prioritisation of user stories. And you will spend time with new customers and existing users to elicit their requirements.
Requirements Capture and User Story Creation
- Generate software development requirements that align with the product vision and roadmap defined by the Product Manager.
- Lead customer workshops and meetings to establish requirements for new features required in specific customer projects.
- Convert requirements into user stories for the software development team to consume in our agile software development process.
- Refine user stories in collaboration with architects, developers and testers to ensure stories are meaningful, deliverable and testable.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager, Scrum Master and other lead roles to manage conflicting priorities and ensure the team are at all times focusing on the highest priority stories.
- Support the Product Manager in negotiating priority conflicts through analysis of customer needs versus customer wants.
- Liaise with the Project Managers and managed services teams within the company to inform on the priorities, issues and risks for customer projects.
Software Development and Quality Assurance
- Present user stories and explain acceptance criteria to the software development team.
- Refine priorities and acceptance criteria at short notice during development when circumstances change.
- Testing and review of stories for adherence to acceptance criteria, in some cases acting as the proxy for the product manager to accept stories as complete.
Skills and Experience Required
- At least 5 years in a software development environment, including 2-3 years as a Product Owner or Business Analyst with state-of-the-art software systems.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational, time-management and communication skills.
- Experience in using Jira or a similar Agile project tool.
- Ability to support and influence key technical and business stakeholders.
- Strong background in collaborating with business and technical experts to determine customer requirements, writing business and technical scenarios and producing user stories for a software development team.
- A strong focus of writing Acceptance Criteria from customer, business and technical perspectives, ensuring they makes sense both for development and for testing.
- An ability to lead the team at the beginning of a project, to help establish scope and priorities.
Skills and Experience Desired
- Knowledge and understanding of control and automation technology.
- Experience working with Aha and JIRA, product roadmap and software development software.
- Experience working as part of a geographically diverse cross-functional development team.
- An understanding of Agile team ceremonies e.g. Retrospectives, Planning Sessions, Project Inceptions, and/or an appetite to drive these within the team.
- Working knowledge of different types of automated testing and the value of automated testing.
- Experience or knowledge of the Energy Sector or Power Systems.
- Experience of working within a transformation programme.
Anticipated Start Date
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org