Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Active Network Management (ANM) technology solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
This is a dedicated DevOps Engineering role focused around the efficacy and operationalization our software development pipeline and toolchain. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast-moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams in North America and the UK. The candidate will contribute significantly to the design and support of the SGS Technology Infrastructure.
The candidate will work closely with Software, QA, and Infrastructure Engineers on improving the automation and stability around our software development process in order to ensure that the projects delivered by Smarter Grid Solutions meet the quality standards expected by our clients and stakeholders. The candidate will be expected to operate with autonomy, take ownership over various components of our Continuous Integration processes, and make significant contributions as a key part of a highly functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Provide technical and operation support to up to 30 engineers spread across three different sites
- Design, implement and support the infrastructure, toolchain, and processes underlying our software development lifecycle
- Help to plan and manage the roadmap for increasing the automation and efficiency of our software development processes
- Evangelize for best practices in regards to Continuous Integration
- Act as a technical resource within external customer projects
- Ongoing updates to all technology components/infrastructure and deployment documentation
- Managing third party suppliers
- 3rd line resolution of incidents and problems of key technology components
- Assist with the feasibility and scoping of technology projects
Essential Skills / Competencies
- Experience and a working/knowledge of the Atlassian toolkit: Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, and Fisheye
- A working knowledge of Git
- Administration and implementation VMWare ESX/ESXi, vSphere
- Experience in Systems Administration
- Familiarity with automated provisioning, configuration and Infrastructure-as-Code systems, such as: Terraform, Ansible, Puppet
- Experience with IaaS platforms such as AWS and Azure
- Expertise diagnosing and troubleshooting complex technical issues.
- Strong Linux skills
- Basic understanding of networks (VPN, TCP/IP, ACLs, etc.)
- Experience in automating operational tasks.
- Comfortable with at least one scripting language: e.g. Bash shell scripts, PowerShell
- Demonstrable capacity for an investigative approach and a desire to learn new technologies
- Knowledge and experience of SAN/NAS Storage systems
- Familiarity with Agile frameworks: Scrum, Kanban
- Familiarity with GitLab
- Basic understanding of SQL, in particular, Microsoft SQL / MySQL
- Experience with container deployment and orchestration
- Experience with HP Proliant Servers
Anticipated Start Date
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org