Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company that spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 350 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
This full-stack software development role offers the exciting opportunity to work on a variety of technologies across our suite of real-time control algorithms, IoT device interfaces, data stores, web services and visualisation software. You will work with the latest Java and web technologies to develop a complete solution for our customers in a growing multi-disciplinary software team based across our Glasgow and New York offices.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Design and implement web services using the latest microservices frameworks.
- Design and implement control and logic algorithms.
- Design and implement network and IoT device interfaces.
- Work with a variety of data store technologies.
- Design and implement user interfaces using the latest UI development technologies.
- Develop code within budget and on time according to the defined company standards and quality processes.
- Work as a member of an Agile Scrum team and participate in daily stand-ups.
- Contribute to the ongoing technical innovation of the team by bringing relevant products, techniques, thoughts and ideas to the table.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in computing science, software engineering or associated discipline.
- Skilled in Java development.
- Experience with databases.
- Experienced in using modern web technologies including Angular, TypeScript, HTML5, and CSS3.
- Familiarity with unit testing frameworks.
- Experience using REST APIs.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Master’s degree in computing science, software engineering or associated discipline.
- Experience using CSS pre-processors and CSS design methodologies.
- Understanding of browser compatibility issues and solutions.
- Understanding of user experience principles and layout aesthetics.
- Good knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
UK Benefits include: 33 days holiday, 7.5% company matched pension contributions and life assurance coverage
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to email@example.com. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!