Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company that spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 350 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
We want to help shape the tech talent of the future and are now looking for motivated and driven candidates who are eager to work in a fast paced tech company whilst gaining a University of Glasgow degree. The best of both worlds, you will be part of our team and gain first-hand experience of working in a successful tech company whilst achieving a degree in Software Engineering. You will work alongside our fantastic teams of Developers, QA Engineers and domain experts who will share their knowledge and help you develop the skills you need to achieve your career in the tech industry.
What does the workplace role involve?
- Working alongside teams to develop knowledge and understanding of our products, technologies and methodologies
- Support and assist delivery team in client projects involving configuration of our software
- Assisting the Client Support team in resolving issues logged
- Assisting our product team in the development of our core products
- Working with our product team to understand our product offering in full
- Opportunity to continually apply and build upon the knowledge you gain at University
Who should apply?
We are looking for candidates that want a career in tech and are ready to work to achieve it. You need to be a driven and focused problem solver who is eager to gain as much knowledge and understanding as you can whilst being fully committed to achieving your degree.
Why Smarter Grid Solutions?
We offer excellent opportunities for individuals to kick-start their career through exposure to a wide variety of software tools and technologies as well as the opportunity to work in the exciting renewable energy sector.
Becoming an apprentice at Smarter Grid Solutions gives you the opportunity to work with and learn from a team of experienced people who will share their knowledge and support you every step of the way. Your day to day tasks will involve exposure to Java, C# and TypeScript as well as a range of technology stacks including Angular, AWS, SpringBoot and .NET core.
Plus you will get to work in our head office based in the heart of Glasgow, take part in many social activities and be involved in shaping what our company looks like in the coming years.
We’re looking for somebody with a keen interest in technology and software development. You don’t need to have prior coding experience. For entry to the University of Glasgow course the requirements are as follows:
- Standard academic entry requirements: AAAA/AAABB
- Minimum academic entry requirements: BBBB (with justification)
- Higher Maths at B or above is required
- Highers should include two Science subjects.
- Grades should be achieved by the end of S5.
Candidates who did not achieve the minimum grades in one sitting and are studying towards additional Highers and Advanced Highers in S6 may receive a conditional offer based on a higher entry tariff by agreement with the University.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary with annual reviews
- 33 days holiday
- 5% company-matched pension contributions
- Life assurance policy
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions or the University of Glasgow we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV (or your questions) to email@example.com. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!