Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a fast-growing technology company that delivers products and services to enable utilities and developers to integrate distributed and renewable energy resources. Our unique Active Network Management (ANM) technology is the only technology of its kind to provide real-time, autonomous control of distributed energy resources, and is the result of over ten years of developing, deploying and proving this unique approach to managing the Smart Grid.
SGS has won many awards, both in the UK and USA, including the coveted USA Grid-Edge Award and UK Energy Innovation Award, and has been recognized by global industry analysts such as Navigant and Greentech Media.
Five of the six UK utility companies use our Active Network Management products and in the USA, utility giants such as Con Edison, Iberdrola, and Southern Company are benefiting from our technology. We support our customers worldwide from our offices in Glasgow, London and New York.
SGS is seeking a Graduate Engineer or Graduate Student to join our growing Smart Grid integration team to provide technical customer support and conduct system testing to enhance the delivery of our technology to production environments.
Who we are looking for…
We are looking for a highly-motivated graduate or graduate student with excellent customer support skills and a desire to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems. You should have:
- A willingness to learn about our technology components
- A confident and professional approach when speaking to customers
- A desire to contribute to and enhance the processes of our Smart Grid integration Practice
- An analytical mindset with good problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm to engage with internal departments/practices
Desired Experience & Skills
We would like to speak with current students or recent graduates who have the following experience. However, if certain aspects of this experience is not met through previous work or education and you have a desire to learn these skills we are happy to consider your application.
We would want you to have (or gain) an understanding of:
- Electrical delivery systems
- Renewable energy technologies
- Hardware / virtual system environments
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Helpdesk / Support systems and services
- Logging and tracking of support issues
- Interacting with customers in a confident manner
- Delivering outstanding customer service
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Automation and control platforms (programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs) and their programming languages
- Testing of SGS systems
Responsibilities and Objectives
Below are a range of activities that you would be contributing to through your career
- Support and deliver operational Active Network Management Systems
- Implement data interfaces between SGS products and external systems, e.g. SCADA, Data Historians, Generator Control Systems
- Provide technical support for customers and Smart Grid deployments
- Prepare system requirements, functional specifications, test specifications, and other documentation for SGS projects
- Integrate control and field instrumentation, measurement devices, test rigs, and harnesses for production projects
- Configuration, testing, and commissioning of ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments
- Maintain knowledge of the latest research, development, and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms, and target markets
- Participate in on-site commissioning of ANM components
Qualifications and Capabilities verbal
- HND/BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, mechanical and electrical, computer and electronic systems, industrial control or similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in the use of helpdesk systems and ability to manage customer support issues throughout their lifecycle
Anticipated Start Date: Summer 2022
Job Type: Internship
Location: New York
Please e-mail: [email protected]
To be eligible for the program, you must be at least one of following:
- A New York State resident attending or having attended any college or university, regardless of location, within the last 12 months;
- An out-of-state student attending or having attended a college or university located in New York State within the last 12 months;
- A New York State resident who is 16- to 24-years of age participating in a work preparedness training program such as Board of Cooperative Educational Service (BOCES), technical high schools, AmeriCorps NCC, the Excelsior Conservation AmeriCorps, etc.;
- New York State resident military veteran; or
- A New York State resident who is a member of a priority population and who has been asked by an employer to apply to the Clean Energy Internship Program.
Note: while NYSERDA may approve remote internships, interns must be physically located in the New York State System Benefits Charge (SBC) / Clean Energy Fund (CEF) territory during their internships to be eligible for funding through the program. This means that the program cannot fund internships for individuals living outside New York State during the internship. Additionally, Nassau and Suffolk counties are not in SBC/CEF territory, so no funding can be awarded for individuals located on Long Island during an internship.