Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Active Network Management (ANM) technology solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
This is a dedicated software role delivering a set of specific activities focused on Product Development and Proof-of-Concept Builds. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast-moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. The candidate will contribute significantly to the delivery of specific Product Development projects by applying knowledge of Core Java, Design Patterns and Systems Integration.
The candidate will work closely with internal clients on the build and implementation of Smart Grid Applications to ensure that the projects delivered by Smarter Grid Solutions meet the quality standards expected by the client. The candidate will be expected to operate with autonomy, taking full ownership of delivery, as part of a highly functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Work under supervision on all aspects of the company software platform.
- Contribute high-level ideas and solutions to the team in standups & design meetings.
- Take responsibility for on-boarding graduates and trainees.
- Contribute technical articles to the company knowledge base.
- Liaise with other practices to provide software support.
- Working towards a practical knowledge of the ANM architecture and control methodologies.
- Working towards the ability to build & configure an ANM system.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Honours Degree in Computing Science, Software Engineering or related discipline.
- Exposure to programming languages, concepts and technologies.
- Experience of object-oriented software design methodologies and tools.
- Ability to contribute to technical documentation.
- Ability to troubleshoot system faults and diagnose bugs.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- IDE practical experience (Visual Studio, NetBeans / IntelliJ, VS Code).
- Experience of working within a team-based software lifecycle methodology (Agile) delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
- Rudimentary knowledge of the power systems domain.
Full-time (ask us about flexible/hybrid working)
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you.