Junior Software Developer
Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Active Network Management (ANM) technology solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
This is a dedicated software role delivering a set of specific activities focused around Product Proof-of-Concept Builds, customisations and project delivery. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. The candidate will contribute significantly to the delivery of specific projects by applying knowledge of Core Java, Design Patterns and Systems Integration.
The candidate will work closely with internal clients and our system integration team on the build and implementation of customer solutions to ensure that the projects delivered by Smarter Grid Solutions meet the quality standards expected by the client. The candidate will be expected to operate with autonomy, taking full ownership of delivery, as part of a highly functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Working under supervision on all aspects of the company software platform.
- Contributing high-level ideas and solutions to the team in standups & design meetings.
- More prominent member of the sprint teams.
- Taking responsibility for on-boarding graduates and trainees.
- Contributing technical articles to the wiki and encouraged to collaborate to and expand the existing knowledge base.
- Liaise with other practices to provide software support.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Java and/or C#
- Exposure to enterprise level programming concepts and technologies.
- Contribute to technical documents.
- Ability to troubleshoot system faults and diagnose bugs.
- Good knowledge of the build pipeline and the software delivery process.
- Working knowledge of the QMS processes and practices.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Experience of programming in GROOVY
- Working knowledge SQL
- Working knowledge of RESTful APIs.
- Strong academic track record in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or similar, relevant course.
- Experience of object-oriented software design methodologies and tools.
- Experience of working within a team-based software lifecycle methodology (Agile) delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
Full-time (ask us about flexible/hybrid working)
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! If you can please advise of your salary expectations and notice period in your response.
Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you!