Company Overview and Role
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Active Network Management (ANM) technology solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
This is a dedicated software role delivering a set of specific activities focused on Product Development and Proof-of-Concept Builds. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast-moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. The candidate will contribute significantly to the delivery of specific Product Development projects by applying knowledge of Core Java, Design Patterns and Systems Integration.
The candidate will work closely with internal clients on the build and implementation of Smart Grid Applications to ensure that the projects delivered by Smarter Grid Solutions meet the quality standards expected by the client. The candidate will be expected to operate with autonomy, taking full ownership of delivery, as part of a highly functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Develop code to budget and timescale according to the defined company standards and quality processes.
- Work as part of an Agile Scrum team and participate in daily standups.
- Participate in testing and integration tasks, when required.
- Work productively as part of a team, always demonstrating leadership and initiative.
- Communicate and liaise with product owners, partners and suppliers to a high professional standard.
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of the languages, tools and methodologies used by the company, and participate in the continuous improvement and evolution of the standards and best practices.
- Work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt quickly to change.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Honours Degree in Computing Science, Software Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience of working within a team-based software lifecycle methodology (Agile) delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
- Experience of working with CSS and CSS pre-processors (LESS, SASS, SCSS)
- Experience of working with AngularJS or Angular.
- Practical experience with Angular CLI, Yarn and Webpack.
- Experience in interacting with RESTful microservices.
- Practical Linux and Windows experience.
- Knowledge of product lifecycle, including installation, support, and security.
- Experience of test-driven development.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Working within an ISO certified QA environment.
- Behaviour Driven Development.
- Shell Scripting (Bash, PowerShell).
- DevOps Tools experience (Git, JIRA, Confluence, Nexus, Sonar, Bamboo).
- Experience of Test Tools (Ranorex, Cucumber, Postman).
- Experience of Artifact Repositories (Nexus, NuGet).
- Experience of Database Technologies.
- Rudimentary knowledge of the power systems domain.
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you.