Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a fast-growing technology company that delivers products and services to enable utilities and developers to integrate distributed and renewable energy resources. Our unique Active Network Management (ANM) technology is the only technology of its kind to provide real-time, autonomous control of distributed energy resources, and is the result of over ten years of developing, deploying and proving this unique approach to managing the Smart Grid.
SGS have won many awards, both in the UK and USA, including the coveted USA Grid-Edge Award and UK Energy Innovation Award, and is recognised by global industry analysts such as Navigant and Greentech Media.
Five of the six UK utility companies use our Active Network Management products and in the USA, utility giants such as Con Edison, Iberdrola, and Southern Company are benefiting from our technology. We support our customers worldwide from our offices in Glasgow and New York.
SGS is seeking a Graduate Engineer (Electrical; Mechanical Electrical; Computer and Electronic Systems or equivalent MSC) to join our growing Managed Services team to provide technical customer support and conduct system testing to enhance delivery of our technology to production environments.
Who we are looking for…
We are looking for a highly-motivated graduate with excellent customer support skills and a desire to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems. You should have:
- A willingness to learn about our technology components
- A confident and professional approach when speaking to customers
- A desire to contribute to and enhance the processes of our Managed Services Practice
- An analytical mind set with good problem solving skills
- Enthusiasm to engage with internal Departments / Practices
Desired Experience & Skills
We would like to speak with recent graduates who have the following experience. However, if certain aspects of this experience are not met through previous work or education and you have a desire to learn these skills we are happy to consider your application.
We would want you to have (or gain) an understanding of:
- Electrical delivery systems
- Renewable energy technologies
- Hardware / virtual system environments
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Helpdesk / Support systems and services
- Logging and tracking of support issues
- Interacting with customers in a confident manner
- Delivering outstanding customer service
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Automation and control platforms (programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs) and their programming languages
- Testing of SGS systems
Responsibilities and Objectives
Below are a range of activities that you would be contributing to through your career.
- Provide 2nd tier technical support for customers and Smart Grid deployments
- Generate monthly operational reports for our customers
- Analyse data and identify system tools that allow us to provide proactive customer support and improve system performance
- Proactively monitor the infrastructure, taking corrective action as necessary
- Support and deliver operational Active Network Management Systems
- Liaise with our Development, Integration and Project Management teams for support in diagnosis, investigation and resolution as and when required
- Provide feedback to team leaders to improve our system and services.
- Build pre-production test systems
- Configuration, testing, and commissioning of ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments
- Execute product test processes and produce the associated test documentation as part of SGS’s product testing
- Maintain knowledge of latest research, development and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms and target markets
- Work within and aid in the development of SGS’s information and quality management systems
Qualifications and Capabilities
- HND/BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in the use of helpdesk systems and ability to manage customer support issues throughout their lifecycle
Anticipated Start Date
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of 3 public days)
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% company performance bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to email@example.com. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!