Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company who spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 350 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
This is a key role within our Production Engineering team with responsibility for ensuring the technical integrity and quality of our products through leadership and management of our Production Engineering & Software QA team. You will play a leadership role in our overall Product Development team and operate within Kanban and Agile software development frameworks alongside our architects, software developers and other team members.
You will have previous experience of leadership within systems testing. You will be expected to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems and should therefore have a strong willingness to learn about our technology components. The application and testing of these components require an analytical mind set with good problem-solving skills and as our Product Test & QA Manager you will be ensuring our products are of the highest standard.
Responsibilities and Objectives
Below are a range of activities that you would be contributing to though your career:
- Build, configure and test SGS systems
- Build test specifications and record results
- Take a leadership role in stand-ups, reviews & retrospectives
- Oversight of functional and regression testing of our product releases
- Lead to the test/defect management process
- Provide feedback to team leaders to improve our system and services
- Oversight of the configuration and testing of ANM platforms and applications in pre-production environments
- Oversight and responsibility for the execution of product test processes and production of the associated test documentation as part of our product testing
- Work within and aid in the development of our information and quality management systems
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Leadership and management of test planning and test execution
- Leadership and management of manual and automated test scripting and management
- The ability to cultivate best practice in the use of test systems, processes and documentation
- Hardware / virtual computer system environments
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with JIRA and other test management tools
Desired Experience and Capabilitie
- BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline
- Experience with automation and control platforms (programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs) and their programming languages is desirable but not essential.
- A minimum of 5 years system test experience and previous experience of line managing a QA/Test team.
- Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
- UK Benefits include: 33 days holiday, 5% company matched pension contributions and life assurance coverage
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to email@example.com. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!