Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company who spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 350 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
SGS sells a range of technology products and services to both utilities and other companies involved in the electricity sector to help integrate new distributed energy resources and manage a success transition to a net zero energy system. In addition to the products featuring our patented control system technology, we provide a range of consultancy, training and systems integration services to help our customers adopt our products. This often requires a consultative sales process in a complex, technology-intensive environment.
Reporting to the EVP Go To Market, you will be part of a global team accelerating the growth of the business. You will work under the guidance of the EVP and collaborate closely with other members of the sales, product and engineering teams to build relationships, compelling propositions and win new business. You will be responsible for developing business with new prospects as well as existing customers to ensure high levels of renewal business and customer satisfaction.
An additional requirement will be to spend part of the time (determined by the volume of contracted business) helping the project delivery teams in the deployment of the systems that are awarded. This will enable you to maintain close contact with our customers, stay current on product developments, and be rewarded by seeing the results of systems sales move into live operation.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Gain complete understanding of the company offering as well as understanding of the business model of distributed energy resource developers and electricity utilities in order to maximize revenue for the company’s products and services (training provided)
- Successfully match customer requirements to proposed solutions
- Manage all technical aspects of RFP / RFI responses and assist with the production of proposals
- Effectively communicate client needs to the R&D teams for future product enhancements
- Coordinate input from across the company to support the sales process
- Understanding of market trends in the smart grid sector and feed relevant information to our product development team
- Understanding the competitive and partner landscape to identify threats and opportunities
- Identify new sales opportunities within existing accounts for the company’s products and services.
- Lead / support customer workshops and meetings to establish requirements for new features required in specific customer projects.
- Manage customer relationships through project delivery to ensure client satisfaction and build pipeline for repeat business.
- Maintain customer and deal records in the company CRM system.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Four-year degree level education ideally in a technical discipline, or demonstrated alternative
- Three or more years of consultative sales experience within the electric supply industry
- Proven track record selling complex enterprise solutions
- Ability to creatively explain and present complex concepts in an easy to understand manner
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong background in collaborating with business and technical experts to determine customer requirements and developing compelling customer solutions / propositions.
- Good knowledge of smart grid concepts and industry trends
- Knowledge of real time control systems or ICT systems
- Experience in creating proposals
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
US Benefits include: 28 days holiday, 7% company matched 401k contributions, exceptional health insurance and life assurance coverage
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a cv/resume (or your questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!