Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) provides products and consultancy services that enable utilities and developers to integrate distributed energy resources into and onto the grid, including solar, wind and storage, across all deployment scales. Our world-leading Active Network Management technology is the core component of a unique distributed energy resource management system that uses real-time functionality to manage and control the operation of local renewable and other grid edge devices. Our products are transforming the utilization and resiliency of the grid, securely managing connected resources at a greatly reduced cost.
SGS was formed in 2008, originating from the world-renowned Institute for Energy and Environment at the University of Strathclyde in the UK and during its rapid growth has established its expansion across North America. SGS is now a leading contributor to the development of the Smart Grid in North America and today has offices globally. We are now looking for a Sales Executive located in our flagship New York office to contribute to our North American expansion, covering the North Eastern United States.
SGS sells a range of technology products and services to both utilities and other companies involved in the electricity sector to help integrate new distributed energy resources. In addition to the products featuring our patented control system technology, we provide a range of consultancy, training and systems integration services to help our customers adopt our products. This often requires a consultative sales process in a complex, technology-intensive environment.
We are seeking a sales engineer professional to join the North American team. The opportunity will primarily take advantage of the wealth of development that has been created by the increasing addition of renewable energy sources to the grid edge, and regulatory initiatives such as New York’s “Reforming the Energy Vision” and California’s “Rule 21”, together with other developments across the country that are creating dynamic changes in utility operations.
Reporting to the General Manager for North America, the Sales Engineer will accelerate the growth of the business. There will be some travel requirement within the assigned region. Working under the guidance of, and in collaboration with the GM and other executives, this person will be responsible for selling into new prospects as well as existing customers to ensure high levels of renewal business and customer satisfaction. Sales will be to both utilities and the developers of renewable energy projects within the region.
An additional requirement will be to spend part of the time (determined by the volume of contracted business) helping the project delivery teams in the deployment of the systems that are awarded. No coding will be required. This will enable the sales engineer to maintain close contact with our customers, stay current on product developments, and be rewarded by seeing the results of systems sales move into live operation.
The Sales Engineer will be someone capable of interacting at manager and senior manager level and will have experience of software and systems solution. The candidate must be a highly adaptable, personable and self-aware individual who can work across the organization to ensure that appropriate resources are brought in to the sales process at the correct times. The Sales Engineer will be capable of working alongside the North American management team and other SGS staff globally that may be involved in the sales process. The candidate must be a highly organized self-starter who can manage multiple accounts in a well-structured way. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned, hardworking, smart and over achieving, with proven experience and a passion for selling technology solutions to senior executives and seeing such sales brought into operation in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support sales executives with solution selling into prospect account base
- Successfully match customer requirements to proposed solutions
- Manage all technical aspects of RFP / RFI responses
- Effectively communicate client needs to the R&D teams for future product enhancements
- Coordinate input from across the company to support the sales process
- Understanding of market trends in the smart grid sector
- Feed market and product requirements to the company based on client / market information
- Recording and reporting of sales metrics (visits, new prospects, proposals, wins)
- Researching customers and competitors as required
- Assistance with the production of proposals
- Have complete understanding of the company offering as well as understanding of the business model of distributed energy resource developers and electricity utilities in order to maximize revenue for the company’s products and services (training provided)
- Understanding the competitive and partner landscape to identify threats and opportunities
- Identify new sales opportunities within existing accounts for the company’s products and services.
- Leads/supports customer workshops and meetings to establish requirements for new features required in specific customer projects.
- Supports the conversion requirements into user stories for the software development team to consume in our agile software development process.
Qualifications and Experience
- Four-year degree level education, or demonstrated alternative
- Three or more years of consultative sales experience within the electric supply industry
- Proven track record selling complex enterprise solutions
- Ability to creatively explain and present complex concepts in an easy to understand manner
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent organisational, time-management and communication skills
- Strong background in collaborating with business and technical experts to determine customer requirements, writing business and technical scenarios and producing user stories for a software development team.
- Good knowledge of smart grid concepts and industry trends
- Knowledge of real time control systems or ICT systems
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience in creating proposals
Compensation and Benefits
Base compensation will depend upon level of experience. Overall compensation will be geared toward a significant commission component with unlimited upside potential.
SGS offers an excellent staff benefits package.
New York City or surrounding area preferred.
Up to 25% as required
Apply now: email@example.com