Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company that spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 500 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
This is a dedicated Systems Engineering & Operations role focused on supporting core business functions. You will be expected to work in a fast moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams in North America and the UK. You will contribute significantly to the design and support of the SGS Technology Infrastructure.
You will work closely with internal clients to design, build and support the systems required to support the SGS mission. This role will have a primary focus on supporting our software development delivery pipeline and practices, with a secondary focus on supporting other SGS internal teams that require test environment support. You will be expected to operate with autonomy, taking full ownership of Software Development Infrastructure Build, Configuration and Support, as part of a high functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Working with Architects, IT Manager and Product Owner to refine and manage the DevOps backlog of work.
- Recommend best practices and evangelise a DevOps culture within the SGS Software Development team.
- Writing Infrastructure code to implement and support the Development environment infrastructure.
- Working with the Security Team to integrate security into application development environment
- Identify and act on opportunities to increase automation and efficiency throughout our software development pipeline
- Provide technical support for the Software Development teams, assisting the CI/CD processes and adoption of new technologies.
- Manage the Devops tooling suite, ensuring each is running efficiently, and recommending improvements and migration strategies.
- Research third party products and services
- Administration & support of software development, test and deployment services
- Ongoing updates to all technology components/infrastructure and deployment documentation
- Work closely with Technology Team members to engage with clients and internal SGS stakeholders to review, revise and improve Technology Development and Test infrastructure that will influence future SGS products
- Assist with the feasibility and scoping of technology projects
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt quickly to change
- As part of ‘one team’ work you will be expected to work very closely with our IT and Technology teams to revise and improve our Development Environments and Corporate IT infrastructure
Essential Skills / Competencies
We would like you to have experience with most of the following. However, if certain skills are not met through previous work and you have a desire to learn we are happy to consider your application.
- Working knowledge of the Atlassian toolkit: Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, and Fisheye
- Working knowledge of Git and Git hosting frameworks (GitLab | BitBucket)
- Working knowledge of IaC frameworks (Terraform | Ansible)
- Administration of cloud hosting environments: AWS | Azure
- Experience in Systems Administration
- Basic understanding of SQL in particular Microsoft SQL | MySQL | Postgres
- Basic understanding of NoSQL data stores
- Strong Linux skills
- Good basic understanding of networks (VPN | TCP/IP)
- Comfortable with at least one scripting language: e.g. Bash shell scripts, PowerShell
- Experience in automating operational tasks
- Expertise diagnosing and troubleshooting complex technical issues
- Demonstrable capacity for an investigative approach and eagerness to learn new technologies
- Experience with an Agile development environment
- Experience with database administration and performance tuning
- Knowledge and experience of SAN/NAS Storage systems
- Administration of VMWare ESX/ESXi | vSphere
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of 3 public days)
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% company performance bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!