Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company that spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and controls over 350 MW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Control & Automation Team to engage in project delivery and ensure technical integrity and quality of our products through rigorous design and testing. You will work closely with all aspects of our business ranging from R&D to Integration with activities overseen by the Production Engineering function. Additionally, you will establish and maintain good working relationships with all internal and external clients.
Ideally, you will be a skilled engineer with a Power Systems background and a drive to lead the way in delivering cutting edge Smart Grid technology. You will be expected to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems and should therefore have a strong willingness to learn about our technology and components. The application testing of these components requires an analytical mind set with good problem solving skills.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Support and deliver operational Active Network Management Systems
- Liaise with our Managed Services, Integration and Project Management teams for support in diagnosis, investigation and resolution as and when required
- Provide feedback to team leaders to improve our system and services
- Build pre-production test systems
- Configuration, testing, and commissioning of ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments
- Execute product test processes and produce the associated test documentation as part of SGS’s product testing
- Maintain knowledge of latest research, development and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms and target markets
- Work within and aid in the development of SGS’s information and quality management systems
Required Experience and Capabilities
- BSc/MEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, power systems, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline
- Commercial experience within the power systems domain
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Desired Experience and Capabilities
We would like to speak with Engineers/Senior Engineers who have the following experience. However, if certain aspects of this experience are not met through previous work or education experience and you have a desire to learn these skills we are happy to consider your application.
We would want to you have (or gain) experience of:
- Distribution / Transmission system operation
- Renewable energy technologies and integration
- Hardware / virtual computer system environments
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Automation and control platforms (programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs) and their programming languages
- System test processes & documentation
- Interacting with customers in a confident manner
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
UK Benefits include: 33 days holiday, 7.5% company matched pension contributions and life assurance coverage.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!