Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with a client list of network and utility companies ranging across UK and North America such as Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks, Western Power Distribution, UK Power Networks, Avangrid, and Southern California Edison. SGS products provide a platform to deliver innovative grid management solutions that meet existing and emerging objectives of network operators and users such as managing network congestion and facilitating progressive network services. The deployment of DERMS software products is supported by essential services such as power systems analysis, consultancy services, and delivery of innovation projects/initiatives. SGS is seeking to recruit a Senior Smart Grid Consultant to join an existing team of power system engineers and consultants, working on both customer projects and internal developmental initiatives. This is an exciting role that will provide exposure and contribution to some of the most pioneering smart grid demonstration projects across the globe.
Overview of the Role
The Senior Consultant will be responsible for delivering a range of exciting power systems analysis and consultancy activities in customer and partner projects. The Senior Consultant will often take a leading role in the delivery of projects and tasks, with responsibility for ensuring deliverables are met on-time and on budget and to customer satisfaction and quality expectations.
In addition to externally-facing projects, the role involves contributing to the growth of team capabilities including development of advanced analytical methods, automation tools, knowledge resource and expertise of the sector; and training materials. The role requires a high degree of adaptability in what is a fast-paced and dynamic working environment, reflecting the varied portfolio of novel and challenging projects delivered by SGS at the leading edge of smart grid innovation.
The role will be based in Glasgow, with a requirement for travel to customer sites within the UK and occasional travel in North America.
The successful candidate will be an experienced power systems engineer or grid consultant with relevant commercial experience and a track record in delivering high-quality technical analysis, qualitative assessments and innovative projects. They will be a competent communicator and initiative taker who achieves high-quality outcomes from their own work.
The successful candidate will have excellent knowledge and experience of the electrical power industry and have an understanding of the latest developments in smart grid technologies. Candidates should have knowledge of current energy regulation and an understanding of on-going regulatory and policy changes impacting the energy system. Skilled report writing and reviewing skills are essential. Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to personal development and will make and take opportunities to advance their own skills and knowledge, as well as supporting best-practice and growth of others within the team.
The role would suit candidates motivated by working within innovation environments, keen to embrace the roll-out and adoption of new technologies within Smarter Grid Solutions’ customer base. The senior position will be suited to those with experience in the power/energy consultancy sector, or network operator/utility engineers, looking for a new challenge and the opportunity to work on global projects demonstrating and delivering novel smart grid technologies.
- Leading the delivery of power systems analysis studies, using conventional and bespoke power systems analysis tools and techniques (including PSSE, IPSA, PowerFactory, CYME). This will include working within project teams spanning multiple SGS office sites and delivering against the SGS quality management framework.
- Leading the delivery of consultancy projects and activities involving the development and application of methods, tools and techniques as necessary to support SGS projects or system deployments; may include work with Excel, SQL and other databases, or other data processing tools; may also include power system/sector and electricity market commercial topics and delivery of cost-benefit analysis studies.
- Leading the preparation of, and contributing to clear, articulate and impactful documents for customers and leading engagement with customers in analysis, consultancy and other projects. Peer reviewing the analytical and written work of team members and other colleagues.
- Preparing and delivering training programs to customers and partners on topics such as smart grids (including Active Network Management and SGS DERMS products and services), power systems, and related analysis tools/techniques.
- Representing SGS and leading customer discussions on analysis and consultancy project activities.
- Contributing to business development and sales primarily in the analysis and consultancy areas including contributing to company marketing initiatives.
- Supporting internal product development processes by capturing customer requirements as part of business development and project delivery discussions.
Required Technical/Personal Skills
- MSc/MEng or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline (or relevant experience to this level).
- Good working knowledge and experience in a variety of power systems modelling, simulation and analysis tools and techniques including uses of commercial software packages (at least one from PSSE, IPSA, PowerFactory or CYME, together with experience of scripting and interfacing languages such as Python or DPL).
- At least 5 years’ experience delivering commercial consultancy projects in the power sector or other highly relevant analytical project delivery.
- Strong understanding of recent developments and demonstrations of smart grid technologies, network operator (utility) operating models and regulatory context of electricity supply.
- Understanding of emerging industry themes such as the Distribution System Operator concept, grid flexibility services and the Open Networks initiative.
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues, supporting the development of others.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
Anticipated Start Date
Up to 7.5% pension match
Cycle to Work Scheme
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org