Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with a client list of network and utility companies across the UK and North America such as Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks, Western Power Distribution, UK Power Networks, Avangrid, and Southern California Edison. SGS products provide a platform to deliver innovative grid management solutions to meet existing and emerging objectives of network operators and users such as managing network congestion and facilitating progressive network services. The delivery of DERMS software products is supported by essential services such as power systems analysis, consultancy services and delivery of innovation projects/initiatives. SGS is seeking to recruit a Smart Grid Consultant to join an existing team of power system engineers and consultants, working on both customer projects and internal developmental initiatives. This is an exciting role that will provide exposure and contribution to some of the most pioneering smart grid demonstration projects across the globe.
Overview of the Role
The Smart Grid Consultant will be responsible for delivering a range of exciting power systems analysis and consultancy activities in customer and partner projects. As well as supporting delivery of customer projects, the role involves contributing to the growth of team capabilities including the development of analytical methods, automation tools, knowledge base and expertise of the sector; and training materials. The role requires a high degree of adaptability in what is a fast-paced and dynamic working environment, reflecting the varied portfolio of novel and challenging activities undertaken by SGS at the leading edge of smart grid innovation in the power sector.
The role will be based in Glasgow, with a requirement for travel to customer sites within the UK and occasional travel in North America.
The successful candidate will be a power systems engineer, consultant, or researcher with relevant commercial experience and a track record in delivering high-quality technical analysis and projects. They will be a competent communicator and initiative taker who achieves high-quality outcomes from their own work. The successful candidate will have good knowledge and experience of the electrical power industry and have an understanding of the latest developments in smart grid technologies. Candidates should have knowledge of current energy regulation and an understanding of on-going regulatory and policy changes impacting the energy system. Strong report writing and reviewing skills are essential. Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to personal development and will make and take opportunities to advance their own skills and knowledge, as well as supporting best practice and growth of others within the team.
The role would suit candidates motivated by innovation, keen to embrace the roll-out and adoption of new technologies within Smarter Grid Solutions’ customer base. This may be suited to those with experience in the consultancy sector, or network operator/utility engineers looking for a new challenge.
- Contributing to the delivery of power systems analysis studies, using conventional and new power systems analysis tools and techniques (including PSSE, IPSA, PowerFactory, CYME). This will include working within project teams spanning multiple SGS office sites and working within the framework of company quality management procedures.
- Contributing to the delivery of consultancy projects and activities involving the development and application of methods, tools and techniques as necessary to support SGS projects or system deployments; may include work with Excel, SQL and other databases, or other data processing tools; may also include power system/sector and electricity market commercial topics.
- Leading the preparation of, and contributing to clear, articulate and impactful documents for customers and leading engagement with customers in analysis, consultancy and other projects. Peer reviewing the analytical and written work of team members and other colleagues.
- Preparing and delivering training programs to customers on topics such as smart grids (including Active Network Management and SGS DERMS products and services), power systems, and related analysis tools/techniques.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, customer discussions on analysis and consultancy project activities.
- Produce publications for high-profile conferences and various forms of technical literature for external, reinforcing the position of SGS as a thought leader in the smart grid domain.
Required Technical/Personal Skills
- MSc/MEng or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline (or relevant experience to this level), and;
- Working knowledge and experience in power systems modelling, simulation and analysis tools and techniques including uses of commercial software packages (at least one from PSSE, IPSA or PowerFactory together with experience of scripting and interfacing languages such as Python).
- Experience of commercial consultancy in the power sector or other highly relevant analytical project delivery.
- Understanding of technical and commercial issues in the connection of new generators to the grid, power system planning and operations, and smart grid technologies.
- Working understanding of electricity supply industry structure, regulation, standards and key stakeholders.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Anticipated Start Date
Up to 7.5% pension match
Cycle to Work Scheme
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org