Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) provides products and consultancy services that enable utilities and developers/operators to integrate distributed energy resources (DER) into and onto the grid, including solar, wind and storage, across all deployment scales. Our world-leading Active Network Management technology is the core component of a unique distributed energy resource management system that uses real-time functionality to manage and control the operation of renewable and other new grid edge energy resources. Our products are transforming the utilization and resiliency of the grid, securely managing connected resources at greatly reduced cost.
SGS was formed in 2008, originating from the Institute for Energy and Environment at the University of Strathclyde in the UK. In 2020, SGS was acquired by Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc (MEPPI), a wholly owned American subsidiary of Mitsubishi corporation. During a period of rapid growth we have established a leadership position in North America, mainly focused on power utility companies, energy aggregators, and large C&I market participants. As we launch new products and our services for these DER owners and operators, we are looking for someone remotely located in the U.S. to help develop the strategy, execution, and growth of these areas.
A Smart Grid Engineer is sought to join this team and assist with the technical design and delivery of production systems. This role requires someone with a working knowledge of the technology components and trends that intersect industrial control, power systems and ICT.
The candidate will deploy SGS products in the field and will participate in the delivery and support of systems throughout their lifecycle.
You will be part of an exciting, friendly, clever and highly committed team.
Responsibilities and Objectives:
- Deliver and support operational Active Network Management Systems
- Prepare system requirements, functional specifications, test specifications and other documentation for SGS projects
- Design data interfaces between SGS products and external systems, e.g. SCADA, Data Historians, Generator Control Systems
- Integrate control and field instrumentation, measurement devices, test rigs and harnesses for production projects
- Configuration, testing, and commissioning of ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments
- Provide 2nd tier customer technical support for Smart Grid deployments
- Maintain knowledge of latest research, development and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms and target markets
- Required Experience and Capabilities
- BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in Electrical Engineering, Industrial Control, Computer Science or similar discipline
- Experience with automation and control platforms, e.g. Programmable Logic Controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs, single-board computers, microcontrollers
- Have contributed to engineering projects involving elements of electrical engineering, systems integration and customer site commissioning
- Understand software engineering lifecycle and documentation process for design, development and support
- Understanding of utility communication architectures, standards and protocols, including: DNP3, Modbus, OPC, IEC61850
- Experience configuring communication protocol interfaces for Client/Server and Publish/Subscribe protocols
- Experience with IT communication networking
- Understanding of IT security practices and cyber security risks
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong analytical and presentation skills
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Experience with build, deployment and administration of Windows and Linux platforms
- Software development experience using IEC 61131-3, Java or C# programming languages and/or scripting and interfacing languages such as Python and Groovy
- Experience using software version control services, e.g. Git, Subversion
- Experience commissioning and fault finding industrial control and measurement equipment
- Understanding of grid regulation and DER in connection issues
- Knowledge of current and emerging smart grid technologies
- Experience of working with Electricity utilities
Essential attributes, skills and experience:
- Detail-orientated and high degree of accuracy with work
- An eye for improvement
- Excellent written and grammatical skills
- IT skills - proficient in Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you.