Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a fast-growing technology company that delivers products and services to enable utilities and developers to integrate distributed and renewable energy resources. Our unique Active Network Management (ANM) technology is the only technology of its kind to provide real-time, autonomous control of distributed energy resources, and is the result of over ten years of developing, deploying and proving this unique approach to managing the Smart Grid.
SGS have won many awards, both in the UK and USA, including the coveted USA Grid-Edge Award and UK Energy Innovation Award, and recognised by global industry analysts such as Navigant and Greentech Media.
Five of the six UK utility companies use our Active Network Management products and in the USA, utility giants such as Con Edison, Iberdrola, and Southern Company are benefiting from our technology. We support our customers worldwide from our offices in Glasgow, London and New York.
SGS is seeking a Smart Grid Engineer to join our growing Managed Services team, providing technical customer support and assist with testing and delivery of our technology to production environments.
We are looking for a highly-motivated engineer with excellent customer support skills. You will have a good working knowledge of the technology components and trends that intersect industrial control, power systems and ICT.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Provide 2nd tier technical support for customers and Smart Grid deployments.
- Generate monthly operational reports for our customers.
- Analyse data and identify system tools that allow us to provide proactive customer support and improve system performance.
- Proactively monitor the infrastructure, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Support and deliver operational Active Network Management Systems.
- Liaise with our Development, Integration and Project Management teams for support in diagnosis, investigation and resolution as and when required.
- Prepare system requirements, functional specifications, test specifications and other documentation for SGS projects.
- Design data interfaces between SGS products and external systems, e.g. SCADA, data historians, generator control systems.
- Integrate control and field instrumentation, measurement devices, test rigs and harnesses for production projects.
- Execute product test processes and produce the associated test documentation as part of SGS’s product testing.
- Configuration, testing, and commissioning of ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments.
- Maintain knowledge of latest research, development and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms and target markets.
- Work within and aid in the development of SGS’s information and quality management systems.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- HND/BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experienced in the use of helpdesk systems and ability to manage customer support issues throughout their lifecycle, ideally in line with ITIL best practice.
- Understand software engineering lifecycle and documentation process for design, development and support.
- Knowledge of current and emerging smart grid technologies.
- Knowledge of automation and control platforms, e.g. programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs, single-board computers, microcontrollers.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Knowledge of ITIL;
- Experience with build, deployment and administration of Windows and Linux platforms;
- Experience using software version control services, e.g. Git, Subversion;
- Experience with IoT communication standards and protocols;
- Understanding of grid regulation and DER connection issues;
- Understanding of IT communication networking;
- Understanding of IT security practices and cyber security risks;
- Basic software development experience using IEC 61131-3, Java or C# programming languages; and/or scripting and interfacing languages such as Python, Groovy.
Anticipated Start Date
Apply now: firstname.lastname@example.org