Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with a client list of network and utility companies ranging across UK and North America such as Scottish & Southern Electricity Distribution, Western Power Distribution, UK Power Networks, Avangrid, SP Energy Networks and Southern California Edison. Our DERMS (Distributed Energy Resource Management System) software provides the capability to help these distribution utilities to digitalise, transition to Distribution System Operators and play their full part in a net zero energy transition.
This is a software architecture and design role within our product development team. The candidate will work within an agile team, supported by senior architects, to produce high quality software design for our Cirrus Flex SaaS product. The candidate will be responsible for shaping the toolset and processes used by the team and ensuring the production of a high quality, secure software product.
This role is ideal for a candidate with previous experience as a senior software developer, technical lead or architect who is looking to move to a more design-focussed role.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Responsible for the analysis, design and high-level engineering of cloud-based software and infrastructure.
- Responsible for developing prototypes to inform design and technology choices.
- Responsible for maintaining a knowledge of current and emerging technologies and methodologies.
- Responsible for liaising with the product team, senior architects, developers, and QA engineers to produce a high-quality product that meets customer requirements.
- Responsible for providing best-in-class technical advice and coaching to other development team members and the wider company.
Required Experience and Capabilities
The following skills are deemed desirable for this role:
- Strong academic record in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or similar, relevant course.
- Strong demonstrable knowledge and practical experience with Microservices, REST, Database, Messaging, and cloud technologies.
- Practical experience deploying applications on a cloud provider (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience in object-oriented software design methodologies.
- Experience working within an ISO certified QA environment.
- Experience working within an agile software team delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
- Expert skills in either Java or C#, with a working knowledge of one or more microservice frameworks (e.g. Springboot, ASP.NET Core).
- Experience working in TDD and BDD environments.
- Working knowledge of DevOps tools (Terraform, Ansible, Git, Atlassian, Maven, Docker, etc.).
The following skills are additionally deemed highly advantageous to candidates.
- Cloud provider certification.
- Cyber security related experience, including system hardening, cryptography, encryption, authentication, and authorisation.
- Power Systems or energy markets knowledge and experience.
- Experience using UML design tools such as Enterprise Architect or Visual Paradigm.
The candidate will report to the Principal Software Architect.
Glasgow, UK. – We would consider hybrid/remote working
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of 3 public days)
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% company performance bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Cycle scheme
In return, you will be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement.
If would like to apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter to [email protected].
We are looking forward to hearing from you!