Job Description: Software Engineer
Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Active Network Management (ANM) technology solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
This is a dedicated software role delivering a set of specific activities focused around Product Development and Proof-of-Concept Builds. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast moving environment, across multiple projects and as part of multi-disciplinary teams. The candidate will contribute significantly to the delivery of specific Product Development projects by applying knowledge of Core Java, Design Patterns and Systems Integration.
The candidate will work closely with internal clients on the build and implementation of Smart Grid Applications to ensure that the projects delivered by Smarter Grid Solutions meet the quality standards expected by the client. The candidate will be expected to operate with autonomy, taking full ownership of delivery, as part of a highly functioning and accomplished team.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Develop code to budget and timescale according to the defined company standards and quality processes.
- Work as part of an Agile Scrum team and participate in daily standups.
- Participate in testing, integration and commissioning tasks, when required, on premises and potentially on-site.
- Work productively as part of a team, demonstrating leadership when required and initiative at all times.
- Communicate and liaise with customers, partners and suppliers to a high professional standard.
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of the languages, tools and methodologies used by the company, and participate in the continuous improvement and evolution of the standards and best practices.
- Work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt quickly to change.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Strong academic track record in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or similar, relevant course.
- Experience of object-oriented software design methodologies and tools.
- Experience of working within a team-based software lifecycle methodology (Agile) delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
- Practical Linux experience.
- Knowledge of product lifecycle, including installation, support, and security.
- Experience of using the Atlassian suite of tools, including JIRA, Confluence & Bamboo, or equivalent.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Practical control systems experience utilising state-driven engineering methods.
- Working within an ISO certified QA environment.
- Test and Behaviour Driven Development.
- Embedded systems experience.
- Networking experience.
- Enterprise platform technologies (J2EE, ESB, etc.)
- Sysadmin-level Linux knowledge;
- Good understanding of algorithms, data structures, multi-threading and/or real-time programming.
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
UK Benefits include: 33 days holiday, 5% company matched pension contributions and life assurance coverage.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!