Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) provides products and consultancy services that enable utilities and developers/operators to integrate distributed energy resources (DER) into and onto the grid, including solar, wind and storage, across all deployment scales. Our world-leading Active Network Management technology is the core component of a unique distributed energy resource management system that uses real-time functionality to manage and control the operation of renewable and other new grid edge energy resources. Our products are transforming the utilization and resiliency of the grid, securely managing connected resources at greatly reduced cost.
SGS was formed in 2008, originating from the Institute for Energy and Environment at the University of Strathclyde in the UK. In 2020, SGS was acquired by Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc (MEPPI), a wholly owned American subsidiary of Mitsubishi corporation. During a period of rapid growth we have established a leadership position in North America, mainly focused on power utility companies, energy aggregators, and large C&I market participants. As we launch new products and our services for these DER owners and operators, we are looking for someone remotely located in the U.S. to help develop the strategy, execution, and growth of these areas.
This Software Test & QA Engineer role within our product development team offers the opportunity to ensure technical integrity and quality of our products through rigorous testing. You will work as part of our Product Development team and operate within an agile software development framework alongside our architects, software developers and other team members.
Ideally you will have several years of system testing experience. You will be expected to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems and should therefore have a strong willingness to learn about our technology components. The application and testing of these components requires an analytical mind set with good problem solving skills and as a Software Test & QA Engineer you will be ensuring our products are of the highest standard.
Responsibilities and Objectives
Below are a range of activities that you would be contributing to through your career:
- Build, configure and test SGS systems across functional & regression testing of product releases
- Creation of test plans to clearly define the test approach that will be taken for allocated work & projects
- Contribute in typical Agile ceremonies; daily stand-ups, sprint planning & retrospectives
- Mentoring / supporting fellow team members & seeking ways to improve our systems & services
- Ownership of test activities through the delivery process; tracking of tasks and production of accurate and timely reporting
- Communicating all test issues effectively and executing procedures in order to arrive at the appropriate fix
- Configuration and testing of DERMS platforms and applications in various environments
- Work within and aid in the development of our information and quality management systems
Required Skills, Experience and Capabilities
- BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline
- 5+ years of industry experience developing and testing software
- ISTQB/ISEB Foundation Certificate in Testing (Desirable but not essential, applicants with the relevant experience without the qualification are welcome to apply)Designing, implementing and evolving test automation frameworks across test levels
- Experience with integrating test automation into CI/CD pipelines
- Usage of tools such as Ranorex, Selenium and Cucumber with a focus on TDD & BDD principles
- Experience of recognised Test Management tools (Jira with Test Mgmt plugin)
- Hardware / virtual computer system environments
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Formal documentation creation
- Experience in; Test Analysis, Design, Execution and Defect Management with a focus on Automated Testing
Desired Skills, Experience and Capabilities
- Working with cloud environments (AWS/MS Azure)
- UI/UX & front end automated testing
- Strong understanding of different testing techniques and approaches with the insight to know when best to use them
- Experience of leading, scripting, executing & maintaining automated regression & Non-functional testing
- Usage of industry accredited automation tools
Essential attributes, skills, and experience:
- Team player & highly collaborative
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-starter
- The drive to continuous personal improvement
- Quality focussed
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to [email protected]. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you.