Smarter Grid Solutions (SGS) is a leading provider of Smart Grid products and services with an international client list of utilities including Scottish and Southern Energy, UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Con Edison, Southern California Edison, and Iberdrola. SGS delivers Distributed Energy Resources Management System solutions that are supported by power systems analysis, systems integration and support services that allow electricity network operators to connect more Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to the existing grid, while avoiding or postponing grid reinforcements.
As part of the ongoing growth and evolution of the SGS development function, it has become necessary to distribute and devolve leadership roles from the traditional vertical pattern into a more horizontal arrangement, so that we can scale effectively moving forward. This aspiration has resulted in the creation of the Technical Lead role, which carries not only a functional leadership role in terms of technical authority, but also a line and career management aspect, whereby this person will be directly responsible for growth and care of colleagues within the organisation.
Technical Leads will hold a key role in the software development function within the company and will be responsible for fulfilling senior design and developer responsibilities, however a percentage of their time will also be devoted to managing the career and health of a group of colleagues.
The Technical Lead role carries a leadership aspect in terms of the development function, whereby the individual will assume the responsibilities of mentoring others, delegating work and being available as an authority on not only the approved company technical processes, but also the quality management and human resource systems, therefore it is incumbent to be a domain expert in all these areas.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Work with project delivery team to translate functional requirements into software solutions.
- Perform high quality software design using industry standards.
- Develop code to budget and timescale according to the defined company standards and quality processes.
- Work as part of a senior member of an Agile Scrum team and participate in daily standups.
- Participate in testing and integration tasks, when required.
- Work productively as part of a team, always demonstrating leadership and initiative.
- Write and review technical documentation to a high standard and following company standards.
- Communicate and liaise with customers, partners, and suppliers to a high professional standard.
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of the languages, tools and methodologies used by the company, and participate in the continuous improvement and evolution of the standards and best practices.
- Work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt quickly to change.
- Mentor less experienced team members and contribute to maintaining a culture of quality and consistency of product.
- Contribute to the ongoing technical innovation of the team by bringing relevant products, techniques, thoughts, and ideas to the table.
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Honours Degree in Computing Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
- Expert in object-oriented software design methodologies and tools.
- Experience of working within a team-based software lifecycle methodology (Agile) delivering tasks to budget and timescale.
- Team leader or senior member of a team of developers.
- Expert in either Java or C#.
- Detailed technical knowledge of microservice design patterns and frameworks (either Spring Boot or ASP.NET core)
- Excellent knowledge of product lifecycle, including installation, support, and security.
- Knowledge of the Atlassian suite of tools, including JIRA, Confluence & Bamboo, or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of configuring Maven or MSBuild.
- Track record of delivering real-world solutions, demonstrating the ability to take a project from design to delivery.
- Expert in Test Driven Development.
- Practical networking knowledge.
- Practical Windows and Linux experience.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Working within an ISO certified QA environment.
- Experience of Modelling Languages (UML, ERD, ORM).
- Behaviour Driven Development.
- Shell Scripting (Bash, PowerShell).
- Experience of Test Tools (Ranorex, Cucumber, Postman).
- Experience of Artifact Repositories (Nexus, NuGet).
- Enterprise Technology experience (ESB, Web Services, OSGi).
- Experience of Database Technologies.
- GROOVY Scripting
- Rudimentary knowledge of the power systems domain.
Essential attributes, skills, and experience
- Can inspire and motivate the team
- Great communicator – clear with instruction and good at handling difficult conversations
- A good listener
- Will recognise and capitalise on the strengths within the team and help to improve upon team weaknesses
- Understanding, fair, flexible, empathetic
- Confident and assertive
- Good at resolving conflict
- Good degree of emotional intelligence
- Great planning and organising skills
- Professional, courteous
- Great at showing appreciation and providing feedback to team members
- A self-starter and great at using own initiative
- Eye for improvement and not afraid to challenge and improve upon the status quo
- Competitive salary, dependent upon experience
- 33 days holiday
- 5% matched Employer pension scheme
- Up to 5% Gainshare bonus per annum
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- Life Cover (3x)
- Flexible / Hybrid Working Opportunities
In return, you’ll be joining a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions, we’d love to hear from you! If you can please advise of your salary expectations and notice period in your response. Please email a CV and cover letter (or your questions) to [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as we can!
We are looking forward to hearing from you.