Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions is a pioneering technology company that spearheaded the introduction of Active Network Management in the UK, and is now a world-leading provider of DERMS Software to electrical utilities across the UK, Europe and North America. We have a customer base that includes major utilities including UK Power Networks, Western Power Distribution, Consolidated Edison, Hydro One and Southern California Edison and control over 1.4 GW of renewable generation, from wind turbines to electric vehicles, across its customer territories.
This Software Test & QA Engineer role within our product development team offers the opportunity to ensure technical integrity and quality of our products through rigorous testing. You will work as part of our Product Development team and operate within an agile software development framework alongside our architects, software developers and other team members.
Ideally you will have several years of system testing experience. You will be expected to gain a deep technical understanding of SGS systems and should therefore have a strong willingness to learn about our technology components. The application and testing of these components requires an analytical mind set with good problem solving skills and as a Software Test & QA Engineer you will be ensuring our products are of the highest standard.
Responsibilities and Objectives
Below are a range of activities that you would be contributing to though your career:
- Build, configure and test SGS systems
- Build test specifications and record results
- Participate in stand-ups, reviews & retrospectives
- Execute functional and regression testing of our product releases
- Adhere to the test/defect management process
- Provide feedback to team leaders to improve our system and services
- Configuration and testing of ANM platforms and applications in pre-production environments
- Execute product test processes and produce the associated test documentation as part of our product testing
- Work within and aid in the development of our information and quality management systems
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Test planning and test execution
- Automated test scripting and management
- Experienced in the use of test systems, processes and documentation
- Hardware / virtual computer system environments
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux platforms
- Network components and concepts (VPN, Remote Desktop, Firewall, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with JIRA and other test management tools
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in electrical engineering, industrial control, computer science or similar discipline
- Experience with automation and control platforms (programmable logic controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs) and their programming languages is desirable but not essential.
- 5 years system test experience
Full-time (ask us about flexible working)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive basic salary + annual company performance bonus
UK Benefits include: 33 days holiday, 7.5% company matched pension contributions and life assurance coverage.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV/resume (or your questions) to email@example.com. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!