Company and Role Overview
Smarter Grid Solutions supplies unique products and services to electricity transmission and distribution network operators in the UK, Europe and North America. These services are centered on the Active Network Management (ANM) of distributed energy resources across transmission and distribution networks. SGS is growing its Integration Practice to meet the high demand for our smart grid control systems.
An opportunity for a ‘Smart Grid Engineer Student Placement’ has arisen to join this team and assist with the technical design and delivery of production systems. This role will help the incumbent develop some working knowledge of the technology components and trends that intersect industrial control, power systems and ICT.
The candidate will support the team in deploying SGS products in the field and will participate in the delivery and support of systems throughout their lifecycle.
Responsibilities and Objectives
- Deliver and support operational Active Network Management Systems
- Help to prepare system requirements, functional specifications, test specifications and other documentation for SGS projects
- Help to design data interfaces between SGS products and external systems, e.g. SCADA, Data Historians, Generator Control Systems
- Assist with integrating control and field instrumentation, measurement devices, test rigs and harnesses for production projects
- Help to configure, test, and commission ANM platforms and applications in production and pre-production environments
- Provide 2nd tier customer technical support for Smart Grid deployments
- Work to gain knowledge of latest research, development and trial activities in the domain and identify opportunities consistent with SGS capabilities, platforms and target markets
Required Experience and Capabilities
- Working to gain a BSc/BEng/MSc/MEng in Electrical Engineering, Industrial Control, Computer Science or similar discipline
- Demonstrate basic software development or scripting experience.
- Demonstrate some understanding of the software engineering lifecycle and documentation process for design and testing
- Interest in Renewable Energy Technologies and energy system de-carbonisation
- Good report writing skills
- Good analytical and presentation skills
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Understanding of automation and control platforms, e.g. Programmable Logic Controllers, RTUs, industrial PCs, single-board computers, microcontrollers
- Understanding of utility communication architectures, standards and protocols, including: DNP3, Modbus, OPC, IEC61850
- Experience with Windows and Linux platforms
- Software development experience using IEC 61131-3, Java or C# programming languages and/or scripting and interfacing languages such as Python and Groovy
- Understanding of software version control services, e.g. Git, Subversion
- Understanding of grid regulation and DER in connection issues
- Knowledge of current and emerging smart grid technologies
- Understanding of IT communication networking
- Understanding of IT security practices and cyber security risks
Glasgow Office – Optima Building, 58 Robertson Street, Glasgow, G2 8DU. It is expected that the incumbent will base themselves out of the office for most of, if not all, of the placement.
In return, you’ll have the chance to learn from and contribute to a highly engaged and passionate team that rewards commitment and achievement!
If you’re interested in applying for this position or have any questions about the role or life at Smarter Grid Solutions, we’d love to hear from you! Please email a CV and cover letter (or your questions) to [email protected] .
We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!